Saturday 3 November 2012

From The Thick Accent of Sir Ken Robinson

Frankly, if the lecturer had said it earlier that this would be written on the blog, I would listen to this video better..

I remember myself in the class multitasking. 1) to try and actually comprehend the thick British accent of Sir Ken Robinson. 2) To try keeping the straight face and shutting my mouth and opening my eyes from sleeping because I had a strange feeling that the lecturer was looking at me.

But then I looked behind and looked at my friends were now in different places in the Atlas...

I was done trying....

but it's fine though, because I'm watching this again...THIS TIME WITH AN EARPHONE!

http://blog.ted.com/2006/06/27/sir_ken_robinso/ - this makes everything easier!

Now that I've gained the comprehension about this talk, I must say that I haven't done anything more productive today than listening to this talk (this is also considering the fact that I woke up at 5pm today). So, let me break things into pieces so that the information can flow easier.

Do schools kill creativity? That's the ultimate question here. As for me, in any place called school or any place that is meant to be educative, the main objective is parallel, to cultivate the students into becoming better individuals. The problem here for me, is probably a mentality that is so contagious, it is affecting the creative field. A contagious mentality that suggests like what Sir Ken Robinson said, "to produce university professors" If ears could nod, mine were nodding to this phrase said by Sir Ken Robinson.

But something strikes you when you move to America and when you travel around the world: every education system on earth has the same heirarchy of subjects. Every one, doesn’t matter where you go, you’d think it would be otherwise but it isn’t. At the top are mathematics and languages, then the humanities, and the bottom are the arts. Everywhere on earth.

Isn't it really the case here? That heirarchy is actually affecting the way people see things. But, actually, I don't quite agree with the fact that schools kill creativity because if we say the word "schools", we are blaming every school. I mean, we have dance school, we have art school, we have drama school. We have that, even in a low amount, we have that. What the students must do (which of course, requires the aid of the adults to actually push them forward) are to identify the factors that define themselves, whether they want to be a mathematician, whether they want to be an animator. What I'm trying to prove here is, if you want to be  an artist, don't bother going to IPTA because you are not going to get what you are aiming at. However, I've seen my friends who are going to study something they are totally alien to. When the UPU result was out and this girl was informing her friend excitedly that the friend got admitted to IPTA and you know what the friend said when she looked at the course she got? "What is this about?" But is this really the fault of public education? No, because I think public education is preparing students to GET JOB, not LIVING DREAMS. Why? Because job ensures money, and money ensures at least a cozy living, isn't it? If the student is really into art stream, he or she must prepare his or herself mentally to stand at the lowest hierarchy, start anything from ground zero, prepare to overcome people's shallow stigma. The door is there, not moving anywhere, but are you prepared to twist the knob? The story regarding Gillian Lynne excites me as well, "she's not sick, she's a dancer". Maybe Gillian Lynne is pretty lucky to realize her potential from such an early stage, but the bottom line is still the same. If you really know what to do with your life, then you find the path to make it there. Now, she made Cats and Phantom of The Opera. And this is the part where adults must play their role as well. Parents especially, must realize that brains are divided into two and both don't really think the same. The right brainers are creative ones, and your child might be a right brainer. Thus, good parents must catapult them into landing at a place where there belong. Quoting what Sir Ken Robinson said regarding Gillian Lynne's story that even made me give him a round of applause :-

Somebody else might have put her on medication and told her to calm down.

As a sum, schools shall remain the same. Teaching every basic necessity that an individual needs to know in order to get a mere look about what is it that the world demands now. From Mathematics to Social Studies, schools are meant to educate. However, in terms of developing creativity, I guess the person who wants to be creative must take a stand as well with help from adults. As of right now, I'm again looking at the poster on my brother's wall.......

DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND THE MONEY WILL FOLLOW


No comments:

Post a Comment